I write all over the web, so here’s everything in one place. Updated irregularly.
- I won the second Gavin Mooney memorial essay competition with ‘A place to call home‘.
- A bit of history about public housing in Australia
Disability (personal and policy)
- The NDIS is not everything – defunding disability advocacy will hurt disabled people
- #CripCroakey crowdfunded series on disability policy for Croakey: Why the National Disability Strategy is important, the ‘problem’ with disability housing, Mediscare worked because being sick is scary and everything you wanted to know about the NDIS.
- It’s time to fix the power dynamics that allowed the abuse of people with disability (with Leanne Dowse and Carolyn Frohmader.)
- Disabled women missing out on a share of the economic pie.
- Debunking myths that keep women with disabilities out of work.
- Why the Steptember fundraising campaign is out of date.
- Are we putting all our disabled eggs in the NDIS basket?
- Should the social model of disability apply online?
- Why the current approach on disability support pension won’t work.
- Why is work the only thing that’s valued?
- Impact of the 2014 budget on people with disability.
- A year since the NDIS started – what’s the verdict?
- Who pays for social services? (with Simon Copland)
- Who deserves the disability support pension?
- Who gets heard when talking about disabled people in institutions?
- Disabled people falling between the cracks in the justices system.
- Big long essay on what’s wrong with the NDIS as a model for disability support.
- I got a bit cranky about delays to NDIS funding.
- Reflecting on the passing of the NDIS (or DisabilityCare as it was briefly known.)
- The devil’s in the detail for the NDIS.
- The NDIS won’t work with out decent working conditions for disability workers.
- My first piece on the NDIS as a voucher system.
- Senate inquiry asks questions about women’s retirement income.
- Where did the idea of a baby bonus come from?
- The privatisation of human services – Serco and Centrelink.
- Selling off Home Care is a very bad idea.
- Why the community sector has more political capital than it thinks it has.
- About the proposed charity commission and whether it would cut red tape.
- A look at changes to the anti-discrimination legislation.
- Struggle Street blames individuals for being poor
- The only way to change mandatory detention of refugees is the change the party that started it.
- The election flyer you won’t receive and it’s all First Dog’s fault.
- Do politicians need income management?